No Job too Small
Certified & Licensed
Winter weather can take a toll on your electrical system.
From increased demand on your heating system to potential damage from ice and snow, it’s important to take steps to winterize your home and keep your electrical system running smoothly.
Here are a few tips to help keep your electrical system running smoothly during winter weather:
There are many ways to overload an outlet that can then cause sparks.
If you’re plugging in too many appliances at once, it can trip circuits or spark due to the increased amount of electricity being used on one circuit– leading up to fires!
Limit how many devices go through your electrical outlets by using surge protectors where applicable so that this doesn’t happen as much.
If you have any malfunctioning electrical appliances, unplug them from their power source immediately and have them serviced or replaced.
Electrical malfunctions are some of the most dangerous errors to occur in your home, but they’re also easily preventable.
If you notice any sparks coming out from an appliance or outlet near flammable materials like curtains then it’s best that they be serviced immediately so as not to cause a fire!
This is a habit you must follow throughout all seasons of the year, however throughout the winter, it’s particularly vital.
All lights, appliances, and other electrical equipment should be turned off or unplugged when they’re not in use.
This will help you save on electricity and avoid overloading circuits, which could lead to an electric fire!
Before going away for vacation, make sure there isn’t any energy waste by checking if all lights are turned off as well as other equipment, like refrigerators, that have electrical components inside them.
This seems like a no-brainer, but it’s worth mentioning, because it’s such an important safety measure.
Look to get rid of any combustible items from around your heat supply.
Establish a 3-foot perimeter around any heat supply like an area heater, fireplace, wood stove, or different heating device that you may be using.
A three-foot perimeter encompassing the warmth supply will serve to stop injuries to kids and pets within the home.
Never leave a fireplace or space heater unattended. If you’re going to be stepping away from the room where your fireplace or space heater is located, make sure to first extinguish the fire or turn off the power.
It only takes a few seconds for an unattended fire to get out of control, so it’s not worth taking the risk.
Bad wiring can present a large problem in the winter when you’re using more lighting, more heating, and other appliances.
Leaving bad wiring increases your risk of electrical hazards, often leading to more severe issues down the road.
That’s why it’s so important to have a certified electrician check your wiring before winter sets in.
There are a few signs that you might need to have your wiring checked:
If you notice any of these signs, it’s time to call a certified electrician.
Our certified electricians will inspect your home’s wiring system to look for loose, worn, or decaying connection, wires, and will also check for any other common electrical problems.
If they find any issues, they’ll resolve them so that your home is safe and sound for winter.
Despite your best efforts to prepare for winter weather, sometimes nasty surprises still manage to show up.
Don’t wait until you have an electrical emergency on your hands—get your wiring checked!
Doesn't matter whether your in Ocean or Bergen County New Jersey, we will service your home.
Schedule an appointment today or give us a call at 609-752-6074 for same day emergency services!